How to get a Spain student visa from USA [2024]

If you live in the United States and want to study Spanish in Spain with us, you need a Spanish study visa for courses more than 12 weeks (> 90 days). It shouldn’t be any problem, if you know what you need. At Linguaschools we have many years of experience helping students get their Spanish study visas when travelling from outside the EU. We will help you along the way. Any questions or doubt, please contact us.

First find out if you need a student visa to study Spanish in Spain.

Staying in Spain <90 days
US passport holders travelling to Spain for holidays, a Spanish course or to visit family do not require a visa for stays of up to 90 days in a 180 day-period. So even if you’re taking a Spanish course the full 90 days, this activity is still considered to be tourism.

Staying in Spain >90 days
US citizens do need visa for travelling for the purposes of residence, (Spanish language) studies for period larger than 90 days, work, professional, artistic or religious activities.

If you want to take a Spanish course or take a University Pathway program in order to access a University in Spain, this is the visa you need.

There are two ways to get a Spanish student visa:

  1. You either travel to Spain for a short stay (so as a tourist, less than 90 days) and apply for a student visa while in Spain or;
  2. You apply for a student visa from the US. Because of all the documentation you need from your home country, if you already know you are going to Spain for a long time, this option is recommended.

Here you find a complete list of everything you need to apply for a student visa for Spain.

These requirements are the same for all students over the world. So the documents you bring should have Spanish translations and Apostille authentication. Police Criminal Record clearance must be verified by fingerprints and cannot be older than 3 months from the application date. You must get a police record from the countries you have lived during the past 5 years.

How to get a US Criminal Record for a Spanish student visa?
You can get a US Criminal Record from either one of the following sources:

  1. The FBI Records for International purposes, issued by the U.S. Department of Justice. The document must be legalized with the “Apostille of the Hague Convention” from the U.S. Department of State. The FBI background check can take over 12 weeks to be processed, so we recommend to apply well in advance. To reduce the processing time, we recommend to submit your request for an FBI background check either electronically or through an FBI-Approved Channeler. More information on the FB website.
  2. The Department of Justice of the State(s) where you have lived in the past 5 years. The document must also be legalized with the “Apostille of the Hague Convention”, but [important] from your corresponding Secretary of the State. Please visit your state’s website to find instructions on how to request both the background check and the Apostille authentication from your Secretary of State.

Once you have clear what documentation you need, you can get an appointment (cita previa) for the student visa application at the Spanish Consulates General. Please mind that each Consulate General has its own jurisdiction and you should apply to the Consulate that corresponds with the area you reside.

Visa applications must be filed in person. However, applications may also be filed by a duly accredited representative if you do not reside in the town or city where the Diplomatic Mission or Consular Office is located. You can ask the Consulate when requesting the appointment.

Spanish Consulates General contact details:

31 ST James Avenue, Suite 905 Boston, MA. 02116
Tel: (617) 536-2506/2527
Fax: (617) 536-8512
Jurisdiction: Maine, Massachussets, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont.
180 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 1500 Chicago, IL 60601
Tel: (312) 782-4588/4589
Fax: (312) 782-1635
Jurisdiction: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesotta, Missouri, Wisconsin.
1800 Bering Dr., Suite 660 Houston, TX 77057
Tel: (713) 783-6200/05/14
Fax: (713) 783-6166  
Jurisdiction: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
5055 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 860 Los Angeles, CA 90036
Tel: (323) 938-0158/0166
Fax: (323) 938-2502
Jurisdiction: California (counties: Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Barbara y Ventura), Arizona, Colorado, Utah.
2655 Le Jeune Rd., Suite 203 Coral Gables, FL 33134
Tel: (305) 446-5511/12/13
Fax: (305) 446-5431
Jurisdiction: Florida, South Carolina, Georgia

150 East 58th Street, 30th & 31st Floors New York, NY 10155
Tel: (212) 355-4080/81/82/85/90
Fax: (212) 644-3751

Jurisdiction: New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey
1405 Sutter St. San Francisco, CA 94109
Tel: (415) 922-2995/96
Fax: (415) 931-9706
Jurisdiction: Alaska, Northen California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, US Pacífic.
2375 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W. Washington D.C. 20037
Tel: (202) 728-2330
Fax: (202) 728-2302
Jurisdiction: Maryland, Virginia, West Virgina, District of Columbia, North Carolina.
Edificio Mercantil Plaza, Piso 11 Oficina 1101 Av.Ponce de León s/n
Hato Rey – Puerto Rico 00918
Tel:  (787) 758-6090/6142/6279
Fax: (787) 763 01 90
Jurisdiction: Puerto Rico, Islas de Culebra y Vieques, Virgin Islands

Other relevant articles

The Linguaschools complete and comprehensive guide to Spanish paperwork.

DISCLAIMER: We have gathered information to our best knowledge, from our experience, using several different (official) sources. Regulations change and interpretations may vary per country or region, but also between public office or staff. No rights can be derived from any of our articles. The content is merely a guide and we recommend you to check information with official sources before and during the process.

Linguaschools Spanish courses in Spain
Linguaschools - Learn Spanish and dive into culture