Medical insurance for Spanish student visa – All you need to know

Are you planning to go to Spain and you’re not sure which health insurance you need? Having the right medical insurance coverage is key in the process of getting your student visa approved but, which type of insurance should you choose? Do they all get the work done? Let’s see.

What type of medical insurance coverage should I get?

If you stay in Spain less than 90 days (tourist visa)
If you are entering Spain with a tourist visa because you’re staying for less than 90 days, you should get a travel insurance . This coverage should be valid within the rest of Europe for the entire time of your stay and must cover hospitalization in case of emergency or repatriation in case of medical need or decease. This means a minimum of € 30.000 of coverage.

If you stay in Spain more than 90 days (student visa)
If you are planning to get your student visa for Spain and stay for more than 90 days, you will have to contract a specific health insurance. This type of insurance will be a requirement when applying for a student visa and, be it public or private, it should provide the same health coverage the national Spanish healthcare system provides. It also has to be valid throughout the whole country and cover the entire time of your stay with a minimum coverage of € 30.000.

Also if you renew your student visa in Spain or you apply for the student visa while you’re in Spain, you need to show a valid insurance policy with the same coverage as mentioned above.

If you are a EU citizen
If you’re a EU citizen (Schengen area), you are entitled to coverage for the public health system. You should get a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) prior to departure for Spain. The EHIC card can be obtained from the public health authorities of your home country.

Which company should I choose?
Keep in mind that in any case the health insurance company you choose must be allowed to provide services in the Spanish territory.

There are a lot of medical health insurance companies that operate inside Spain which is why you should pay special attention when hiring one. Ask them specifically for the student visa coverage. Make sure they offer exactly what you need and for a fair price. Not having the right plan of health insurance coverage might be reason enough for denial of the visa application.

What can Linguaschools do for you?
At Linguaschools we can help you get one of the most reliable options. We work with an international insurance company that specializes in insurance policies for students going abroad. They will also provide our students an accompanying letter, written in Spanish, explaining the policy coverage so you are 100% sure that the Spanish embassy will accept your insurance policy and you don’t have to worry about these things during your stay in Spain.

If you are interested in this international student insurance, please contact us prior to your visa appointment. Please mind that we need approximately 72 hours (working days) to send you the policy and accompanying letter for the embassy. If for whatever other reason your visa is denied, the insurance fee will be refunded in full.

Other relevant articles

The Linguaschools complete and comprehensive guide to Spanish paperwork.

Anything to add? Share your own experience in the comments below!

DISCLAIMER: We have gathered information to our best knowledge, from our experience, using many different (official) sources. Regulations change and interpretations may vary per country or region, but also between public office or staff. No rights can be derived from any of our articles. The content is merely a guide and we recommend you to check information with official sources before and during the process.

Linguaschools Spanish courses in Spain
Linguaschools - Learn Spanish and dive into culture