How to get a Spain student visa from UK [2024]

If you are a British citizen wanting to study Spanish in Spain with us, you need a Spanish study visa if you want to come for more than 12 weeks (> 90 days).

Getting a student visa for Spain requires a bit of preparation and patience, but shouldn’t be that complicated if you make sure you have the right documents. At Linguaschools we have many years of experience helping students get their Spanish study visas when travelling from outside the EU. Any questions or doubt, please contact us.

In short we will explain how the Spain visa policy affects UK nationals:

Staying in Spain <90 days
British passport holders travelling to Spain for holidays, a Spanish course or to visit family do not require a visa for stays of up to 90 days in a 180 day-period.

Staying in Spain >90 days
British citizens do need visa for travelling for the purposes of residence, studies for period larger than 90 days, work, professional, artistic or religious activities.

If you want to take a Spanish language course or take a University Pathway program in order to access a University in Spain, this is the visa you need.

UK nationals and their family members who established the residence in other EU Member State before the end of the transition period (31st December 2020) in accordance with EU free movement law, will maintain their free movements rights after 31st December 2020.

There are two ways to get a Spanish student visa:

  1. Apply from Spain
    You can either travel to Spain for a short stay (less than 90 days) and apply for a student visa while in Spain or;
  2. Apply from the UK
    You apply for a student visa from the UK. Because of all the documentation you need from your home country, if you already know you are going to Spain for a long time, this option is recommended. Continue reading here to find out about all the paperworks and steps you need to take to applying for a Spain student visa from abroad.

Once you have clear what documentation you need, you can get an appointment (cita previa) for the student visa application at the Spanish Consulate General. Please mind that each Consulate General has its own jurisdiction and you should apply to the Consulate that corresponds with the area you reside.

Spanish Consulates General contact details:

Consulate General in London
20 Draycott Place, London SW3 2RZ
Tel: 020 7589 8989
Fax: 020 7581 7888

Jurisdiction: Greater London, the South West, the South East and Eastern regions as well as the two Bailiwicks of Guernsey and Jersey and British Overseas Territories


Consulate General in Manchester
Instituto Cervantes, 326-330 Deansgate, Campfield Avenue Arcade, Manchester M3 4FN
Tel: 0161 661 42 00

Jurisdiction: Wales, Isle of Man, England:
North West (except Cumbria):CheshireGreater Manchester, Lancashire, Merseyside;
Yorkshire and the Humber: East Riding of Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire;
East Midlands: Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Rutland;
West Midlands: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands, Worcestershire.


Consulate General in Edinbourgh
63 North Castle Street, Edinburgh EH2 3LJ
Tel. 0131 220 1843
Fax: 0131 226 4568

Jurisdiction: Scotland, Northern Ireland, Cleveland, Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland, Tyne & Wear y Tees Valley (Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Darlington y Middlesbrough


Other relevant articles

The Linguaschools complete and comprehensive guide to Spanish paperwork.

DISCLAIMER: We have gathered information to our best knowledge, from our experience, using several different (official) sources. Regulations change and interpretations may vary per country or region, but also between public office or staff. No rights can be derived from any of our articles. The content is merely a guide and we recommend you to check information with official sources before and during the process.