As British citizen you may be used to being able to travel to Spain without any (visa) paperwork. Now the Brexit transition period has ended 31st December 2020, Great Britain is not part of the EU anymore, so some things have changed if you want to travel to Spain.
If you want to study Spanish with us, the biggest difference is that you need a Spanish study visa for more than 12 weeks (> 90 days). It requires a bit more preparation, but shouldn’t be too hard. At Linguaschools we have many years of experience helping students get their Spanish study visas when travelling from outside the EU. Any questions or doubt, please contact us.
In short we will explain how the Spain visa policy affects UK nationals:
Staying in Spain <90 days
British passport holders travelling to Spain for holidays, a Spanish course or to visit family do not require a visa for stays of up to 90 days in a 180 day-period.
Staying in Spain >90 days
British citizens do need visa for travelling for the purposes of residence, studies for period larger than 90 days, work, professional, artistic or religious activities.
UK nationals and their family members who established the residence in other EU Member State before the end of the transition period (31st December 2020) in accordance with EU free movement law, will maintain their free movements rights after 31st December 2020.
There are two ways to get a Spanish student visa:
- You can either travel to Spain for a short stay (less than 90 days) and apply for a student visa while in Spain
- You can apply for a student visa from the UK. Because of all the documentation you need from your home country, if you already know you are going to Spain for a long time, this option is recommended.
Find here everything you need to know about applying for a student visa for Spain.
CONSULADO GENERAL EN LONDRES
20 Draycott Place
London SW3 2RZ
Tel: 020 7589 8989
Fax: 020 7581 7888
CONSULADO GENERAL EN EDIMBURGO
63 North Castle Street
Edimburgo EH2 3LJ
Tel. 0131 220 1843 / 0131 220 1439 / 0131 220 1442
Fax: 0131 226 4568
Other relevant articles
- Do I need any visa to study Spanish in Spain?
- How to get a Spanish study visa for non-EU citizens? (applying from abroad)
- How to apply for a student visa while in Spain?
- How to renew a Spanish student visa?
- Medical insurance for Spanish student visa – all you need to know
- What is the NIE and how do I get it?
- What is the TIE and how to get it?
- Can I work in Spain with a student visa?
- How to apply to a university in Spain for international students
- Find the best English speaking lawyers in Spain
The Linguaschools complete and comprehensive guide to Spanish paperwork.
DISCLAIMER: We have gathered information to our best knowledge, from our experience, using several different (official) sources. Regulations change and interpretations may vary per country or region, but also between public office or staff. No rights can be derived from any of our articles. The content is merely a guide and we recommend you to check information with official sources before and during the process.