Will you be in Barcelona this October, studying Spanish with us ? Are you still wondering what you will be doing in your free time? Here are some cool suggestions…
- Celebrate “La castañada”: In many countries on October the 31st people celebrate Halloween, which in Cataluña is… La castañada! During that day, families and friends gather together to eat chestnuts, sweets made of marzipan (called “panellets”) and sweet potatoes, and drink muscatel wine. This also means that approximately 2 weeks before, many stands appear around the city that sell these products, and create a characteristic sweet smell that floods the streets. If you don’t have any plans, it is a nice occasion to have a walk in Barcelona, see how the city changes in autumn, and try our special food for this day!
- October means beer! The most authentic beer event in Barcelona, The Biergarten, is here again. It will take place in the Plaza Mayor of Poble Espanyol from September the 30th to October the 2nd. In this 8th edition you can taste a wide range of beers and delight yourself with the German gastronomic proposals that await you: wheat beer, black, pilsener, lager, frankfurts, bratwursts, knuckle, bretzels…. and with the best atmosphere! But that’s not all: beer and gastronomy will be combined with various competitions such as raising of jugs, beer tasting as well as workshops, children’s games and music. It’s another great excuse to share a good time with good friends or family!
- The Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival: It is one of the most recognized cinematographic events of Europe, offering exhibitions, presentations and projections of fantasy films from all over the world, and in such a beautiful city like Sitges! Every day there’s hundreds of films projected in different locations of the town, as well as many parallel activities like table talks, contests or debates. But without a doubt the most famous one is the Sitges Zombie Walk. Get on the train and don’t hesitate to attend this fantastic festival, taking place this year October the 6th – 16th!
- The 48h Open House Bcn: On the fourth weekend of this month (October the 22nd and 23rd) Barcelona is celebrating this annual festival whose aim is to promote architecture and help people understand its meaning and importance in our culture. In order to do so, more than 200 buildings of Barcelona and surroundings organize open houses that you can visit for free!
- Try some local food at “Mercat de Mercats”: The great festival of Barcelona gastronomy returns for the fifth consecutive year. An active, open and popular fair designed to promote quality and local products of markets in Barcelona. From October the 21st till the 23rd the “Plaça de les Glòries” fill with the great stars and young talents of our cuisine. It’s a unique occasion to enjoy talks, lectures, cooking shows and tastings by professionals and journalists from the gastronomic world.
- Do you fancy a vermouth? From September the 30th to October the 2nd, you can live “the vermut experience” at the Port Vell in Barcelona. There you’ll find the Fira Vermut & Soul, whose tickets are just 3.5€! Vermouths, beer, snacks, live music… at the harbour, what else do you need?
- The Barcelona International Jazz Festival: The Barcelona International Jazz Festival is a world reference in its genre. You can attend free concerts, master classes by leading figures, interesting conferences, and meetings with artists… Lots of shows and parallel activities which offer multiple options to enjoy good music and the passion for jazz! It starts October the 18th and finishes December the 28th. Check the program on the website.
- Get a cool tattoo at Barcelona Tatoo Expo: The Barcelona International Tattoo Convention is held the second weekend of October. This year it brings together more than 300 artists from different styles of the tattoo world. Check it out here.