Will you be in Barcelona this April, studying Spanish with us ? Are you still wondering what you will be doing in your free time? Although some things are still a little bit different this spring, you for sure will not get bored for one minute! Here are some cool suggestions…
- Celebrate Sant Jordi: One of the most original celebrations in Catalonia takes place during the spring; on April the 23rd. It’s is a popular celebration that mixes culture and romanticism, combining the celebration of the International Book Day and Valentine’s Day. On that day, the tradition consists of couples exchanging gifts: men receive a book and women a rose. However, it is becoming more widespread that both men and women give each other books and roses. During this day, Barcelona becomes a huge open-air bookstore and flower shop. The streets are filled with people strolling among stalls with books and roses, looking for their gift not only for their loved one, but also for a family member or a friend. It’s a day to walk around the city and definitely enjoy the festive atmosphere. Streets such as Las Ramblas, Passeig de Gràcia, Passeig de Sant Joan and Rambla de Catalunya are essential, where you will find stalls selling books, established authors signing copies and, of course, you will smell the aroma of roses. In addition, during the day it’s easy to enjoy the sardanas (traditional Catalan dances), literary activities such as workshops and recitals and the popular “castells” (human towers) in places such as Plaça Sant Jaume.
- Are you a lover of big cars?… The Hot Wheels Monster Trucks Live family show is coming to Barcelona for the first time on April the 2nd and 3rd. The show will offer a unique opportunity to see real life versions of famous Hot Wheels Monster Truck toys. Performances will also feature the special appearance of the transforming robot Megasaurus, which eats cars and breathes fire, and Freestyle Motocross. The public will be able to experience an exciting show of action and fun at full throttle, with spectacular crashes, epic competitions and monster truck battles. Get your tickets now!
- …or you prefer bikes? The 45th Trial Indoor Barcelona is the best men’s and women’s indoor trial, which returns April the 10th for another year to the Palau Sant Jordi in Barcelona in a scoring event for the 2022 FIM X-Trial World Championship. Pirouettes, acrobatics and impossible obstacles make this event the most difficult and spectacular, only available to the best riders in the world. It isn’t too late to get the tickets!
- Visit Museums:The museums are now open with a 100% capacity. ¡CCCB, MACBA, Picasso, Joan Miró, CosmoCaixa are worth a visit!
- Buy a vinyl record at the International Record Fair: This fair gathers those who are nostalgic for vinyl in Barcelona, this year from April the 29th until May the 1st. Far from being an exclusive meeting for lovers of rock and heavy metal produced between the ’70s and ’90s, it offers music for all audiences. And not only in terms of genres, but also because of the various formats that can be found. With an indisputable volume of attendance, the Fira Internacional del Disco de Barcelona has become, once again, a place of congregation for all those who refuse to reduce music to a simple digital file. And the tickets are just 6€!
- Run in the Half Marathon of Barcelona: The Half Marathon of Barcelona is the running event par excellence. Enjoying a sports, family, cultural, gastronomic and Mediterranean weekend like this one is only possible at this race. Year after year the population of Barcelona,
volunteers, live musical entertainment and fans take to the streets to support and accompany all the participants. Wouldn’t you like to do this competition throughout our fantastic city on April the 3rd? Register here.
- Taste a delicious wine at the Barcelona Wine Week: The reference event for Spanish wine returns to Fira de Barcelona from April the 4th. This edition of Barcelona Wine Week (BWW) will bring together the largest wine offerings in the country to show all its power and variety to national and international operators. A wide-ranging showcase that will bring together all kinds of wineries, from the smallest and family-owned to large corporations, that’s more than 600 wineries! Learn more about it here.
- Eat the “Mona de Pascua”: This cake is a typical Spanish pastry dessert that symbolizes the end of the rigorous abstinence typical of Lent. The godparents of Catalonia, Valencia and the Balearic Islands give their godchildren this sweet on Easter Sunday (this year April the 17th), which has been evolved to chocolate figures that range from the traditional to the most original and funny creations that come from the imagination of the pastry chef. Every Easter families or groups of friends gather somewhere to eat the “mona” together, and the most famous pastry shops compete to show off the most spectacular chocolate figures in their windows. Buy one in any bakery or try to prepare your own!
- Attend a tennis match of the ATP: The “Trofeo Conde de Godó” tournament (this year April the 16th until the 24th) is an official tennis competition held annually at the facilities of the Real Club de Tenis Barcelona, played in the men’s singles and men’s doubles categories. It and part of the ATP World Tour 500. Get your tickets here and don’t miss the opportunity to watch play the best tennis players of the world!