Are you in Barcelona in October to learn Spanish with us but you wonder what you can do in your free time? Although there will still be a lot of things different this autumn, you won’t be bored for a moment! Here are some cool suggestions…
(All events in this blog post observe the COVID-19 security measures.)
- Try some local food at “Mercat de Mercats” (October 23th – 25th): The great festival of Barcelona gastronomy returns for the fourth consecutive year. An active, open and popular fair designed to promote quality and local products of markets in Barcelona. For three days the streets fill with the great stars and young talents of our cuisine. It’s a unique occasion to enjoy talks, lectures, cooking shows and tastings by professionals and journalists from the gastronomic world.
- The Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival (October 7th – 17th): It is one of the most recognized cinematographic events of Europe, offering exhibitions, presentations and projections of fantasy films from all over the world, and in such a beautiful city like Sitges! Every day there’s hundreds of films projected in different locations of the town, as well as many parallel activities like table talks, contests or debates. But without a doubt the most famous one is the Sitges Zombie Experience. Get on the train and don’t hesitate to attend this fantastic festival!
- Do you fancy a vermouth? From October 1st till 3rd, you can live “the vermut experience” at the Port Vell in Barcelona. There you’ll find the Fira Vermut & Soul, whose tickets are just 3.5€! Vermouths, beer, snacks, live music… at the harbour, what else do you need?
- The 48h Open House Bcn (October the 23th and 24th): On the fourth weekend of this month Barcelona is celebrating this annual festival whose aim is to promote architecture and help people understand its meaning and importance in our culture. In order to do so, more than 200 buildings of Barcelona and surroundings organize open houses that you can visit for free!
- October means beer! The most authentic beer event in Barcelona, The Biergarten, is here again. It will take place in the Plaza Mayor of Poble Espanyol from October the 1st to the 3rd and from October the 8th to the 12th. In this 8th edition you can taste a wide range of beers and delight yourself with the German gastronomic proposals that await you: wheat beer, black, pilsener, lager, frankfurts, bratwursts, picantwursts, knuckle, bretzels…. and with the best atmosphere! But that’s not all: beer and gastronomy will be combined with various competitions such as raising of jugs, beer tasting as well as workshops, children’s games and music. It’s another great excuse to share a good time with good friends or family!
- Celebrate “La castañada”: In many countries on October the 31st people celebrate Halloween, which in Cataluña is… La castañada! During that day, families and friends gather together to eat chestnuts, sweets made of marzipan (called “panellets”) and sweet potatoes, and drink muscatel wine. This also means that approximately 2 weeks before, many stands appear around the city that sell these products, and create a characteristic sweet smell that floods the streets. If you don’t have any plans, it is a nice occasion to have a walk in Barcelona, see how the city changes in autumn, and try our special food for this day!
- Party hard at Picnic Beat (October the 9th and 23th): Those two Saturdays you’ll have the opportunity to see some of the best bands and djs of indie, psychedelic and garage Rock as well as soul, in Poble Espanyol.
- Visit Museums: The museums are open with a 70% capacity. ¡CCCB, MACBA, Picasso, Joan Miró, Cosmo Caixa are worth a visit!